So much has happened this week that I am having trouble deciding which stupid Trump activity to write about. I will try to keep up, but tonight I heard the news that the Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein appointed Robert Mueller as the Special Counsel to investigate any connection between members of the Trump campaign and the Russian meddling of our 2016 election. Finally, I decided to bring back my “In Peach” cartoon and update it to “Impeach”.
Trump’s potential “High Crimes and Misdemeanors” include but are not limited to:
- Fired Preet Bharara, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York who was investigating Russian money laundering. That case was suddenly “settled”. The Russian lawyer who exposed the money laundering fraud. One other lawyer died and another fell out of a window but survived. The company paid a small fine. http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/preet-bhararas-russian-money-laundering-case-abruptly-settled-raising-eyebrowshttp://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/preet-bhararas-russian-money-laundering-case-abruptly-settled-raising-eyebrows
- Appearing to directly interfere in the House Investigation by secretly leaking information to Nunes.
- May have demanded loyalty oaths to him not the country.
- Gave classified documents to Russians.
- Reportedly asked the FBI director to quash the investigation into Flynn.
- Fired the FBI director James Comey, and admitted that the firing had to do with the Russia-Trump investigation.
This is only a partial list of Trump’s definitely non-Presidential activities.
The possibility that President Trump could be charged with obstruction-of-justice has been floated today. One Texas Republican formally called for impeachment proceedings. The ball is rolling and I don’t think that Trump can stop it this time.
So, by firing the Attorney General who was investigating him, Trump may have put himself in the hairs of those who want his impeachment. The appointment of Mueller, a non-partisan and former FBI director as Special Council shows that our republic is still working!! Thank you Deputy General Rosenstein.